Crestmont is looking for a new Head of School! Check out the job listing below and email email@example.com if you are interested.
Crestmont School is a unique cooperative school located in the scenic hills of Richmond, California. It was founded in 1969 with the goal of creating an environment that would encourage curiosity, critical thinking, community spirit and academic excellence for children of diverse backgrounds. The school is currently K-6, with a planned expansion to K-8. This position opens July 1st, 2018.
The Head of School supports and fulfills Crestmont’s mission, vision and goals; provides educational leadership; assures the School’s current vitality and future stability; and manages the daily operations of the School in collaboration with the parents and Board of Directors. In addition to the faculty, reporting to the Head of School are the Extended Care Director, the Business Manager, and the Learning Specialist.
The Head of School’s essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Support, develop and oversee all educational elements of the school, which includes
grade level classes, specialty programs, co-curricular, extracurricular, and afterschool
- Work with the faculty to ensure that the curriculum, related activities and school
experience for children is consistent and progresses in an educationally sound manner
from year to year. This includes attention to the scope and sequence for all grades and
- Understand and pursue the most current educational research and implement new
programs to advance the educational mission of the school.
- Provide leadership through the hiring and retaining of excellent faculty, attending to the
curriculum, and ensuring the school’s overall vitality;
- Work with the Board of Directors to create personnel policies, update and improve
employee handbooks and agreements, and maintain personnel records.
- Coordinate professional development policies and plans for all full & part-time teachers
and school staff.
- Coordinate procedures to provide coverage in classrooms as needed.
- Provide direct supervision to Teaching, Extended Care and Specialty staff.
- Engage fully in the daily life of the school, provide educational leadership and be a
skilled spokesperson for the school’s vibrant, educational program;
- Foster positive relationships with families.
- Keep the Crestmont community informed of activities and school events through regular
- Work closely with the Crestmont Board of Directors in developing school policy and
furthering the mission of the school.
- Develop positive relationships with students.
- Provide support to teachers and staff with challenging student behavior. Such support
may include providing the time and place for a child to regroup and reflect on her/his
behavior, helping the teacher to problem solve student support and facilitating a
meeting between the teacher and the parents.
- Work with faculty and Learning Specialist to coordinate and lead Student Success Team
(SST) processes as necessary.
- Lead and coordinate with teachers to provide leadership for all-school events.
- Works closely with staff and Board members on financial management, admissions,
enrollment management, development, fundraising, and high school placement to
- Promote Crestmont and represent Crestmont in larger educational community.
- Participate in and occasional lead school tours/info events as needed.
- In conjunction with Board and membership, develop and revise School’s Strategic Plan.
Qualities Ideal Candidates Should Possess:
- Passion for progressive education that will foster a culture of learning and high
- A commitment to diversity, multiculturalism, and globalism
- Insight to embrace, expand, and communicate a vision for Crestmont to inspire and
unite teachers, parents, and prospective families
- Collaborative leadership with a focus on inclusiveness and respect while balancing the
ability to co-lead and to be make decisions when necessary.
- Effective partnering when working closely with the Board of Directors to maintain and govern Crestmont’s mission and vision.
- Minimum two (2) years of school leadership experience (e.g. administrator, program
director or division head).
- Teaching experience at the elementary level.
- Graduate degree in education or equivalent experience.
- Proven strength in interpersonal skills and human resource management.
- Skills in participatory decision making, academic and public communication, and
- Solid knowledge of sound fiscal management and budgeting practices.
- Excellent decision making and problem solving skills.
- Effective communication and presentation skills
Crestmont School is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to promoting diversity in the workplace and to seeking a diverse and broad spectrum of qualified candidates. Crestmont School does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, gender or gender identity, age, or sexual orientation.
Candidates should submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org, or Head of School Search Committee, Crestmont School, 6226 Arlington Blvd., Richmond, CA, 94805.
A cover letter explaining their interests and qualifications for becoming the next Head of School; a current resume; a brief personal statement; and the names, email addresses, and telephone numbers of three references.