Crestmont School is the Bay Area’s only cooperative K-8 elementary school. Located in the scenic hills of Richmond, California, near the El Cerrito border, it was founded in 1969 with the goal of creating an environment that encourages curiosity, critical thinking, community spirit and academic excellence for children of all backgrounds.
The essence of Crestmont is expressed in our children’s enthusiasm for learning, curiosity about life, and kindness for others.
“My son graduated from Crestmont last year after having spent his entire elementary years at the school. He came out more creative and confident as he went into middle school and his experience at Crestmont has given him life coping strategies that he will carry with him into the future. As he undertakes the task of middle school, I see the influences of the creative task force of teachers alive in his daily life. It is amazing to see.”
— 2010/11 family
What Makes Crestmont Unique
- Every child is recognized, included, and supported for who they are.
- Crestmont teachers use authentic assessment and provide extensive narrative reports and conferences on children’s progress.
- Frequent field trips provide meaningful opportunities for learning.
- Students’ opinions are valued. Teachers seek student input and promote student leadership on school decisions.
- We value and encourage parent participation, with a wide range of options for involvement.
- We practice conflict resolution among our children, as well as among parents and our overall community.
- We develop children’s capacity for listening to each other, speaking up, and relating to adults. Our children are taught to be kind, respectful citizens and leaders.
- Over Crestmont’s long and rich history, we have created and sustained unique community traditions.
- Multi-age classes, activities, and play are integral to Crestmont’s philosophy.
- In our curriculum, community activities, and admissions process we have a strong commitment to racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and family diversity.
- We provide a high quality education for a reasonable price.
Crestmont School Profile
Crestmont School is a cooperative K-8 elementary school located in the scenic hills of Richmond, California. It was founded in 1969 with the goal of creating an environment that encourages curiosity, critical thinking, community spirit, and academic excellence for children of all backgrounds.
Crestmont has four classes: kindergarten, first grade, second/third grades, and fourth/fifth grades. Each class has a credentialed lead teacher and an aide. We have three specialty teachers in the following areas: music, physical education, and Spanish, as well as a part-time learning specialist.
Crestmont School is a member of the East Bay Independent Schools Association (EBISA)
70 (K-5) Middle School expansion begins with our first 6th grade in 2017
(Kindergarten) 10-15 students. Adult to Child Ratio 1:4
$13,260 per year
8% sibling discount
Families Receiving Tuition Assistance
Available from 7:30 am until 6:00 pm
$8.00 per hour or $300 per month for unlimited use
Parent Participation Tuition Credit
$8.00/hour (participation on the board also earns tuition credits)
Prior to the start of the school year, our kindergarten teacher schedules home visits for each new incoming kindergartner. She spends time with each child at their home so that when the children enter their first day at the school, they’ve already have a personal connection and are familiar with their teacher. Kindergarten families are welcomed at a new families’ play date after admission, and encouraged to hold play dates with new classmates over the summer. Later in the summer a class picnic is held for each grade just before the school year begins.
View the recent video about the Crestmont kindergarten transition: https://vimeo.com/crestmont
Crestmont TaxReturn – 2014