Crestmont School is the Bay Area’s only cooperative K-8 elementary school. Located in the scenic hills of Richmond, California, near the El Cerrito border, it was founded in 1969 with the goal of creating an environment that encourages curiosity, critical thinking, community spirit and academic excellence for children of all backgrounds.
The essence of Crestmont is expressed in our children’s enthusiasm for learning, curiosity about life, and kindness for others.
“My son graduated from Crestmont last year after having spent his entire elementary years at the school. He came out more creative and confident as he went into middle school and his experience at Crestmont has given him life coping strategies that he will carry with him into the future. As he undertakes the task of middle school, I see the influences of the creative task force of teachers alive in his daily life. It is amazing to see.” – 2010/11 family
“We chose Crestmont because Crestmont develops the love of learning in students. Our son thrived and retained what he learned from their excellent curriculum. Crestmont School’s program fostered both creative and critical thinking in our child without giving meaningless tasks and what we call “factory-made” assignments. On top of that, Crestmont gave our son important tools to be confident and independent, while also being kind and inclusive.” – Crestmont Alumni Parents, Brad and Nancy
What Makes Crestmont Unique
- Multi-age classes, activities, and play are integral to Crestmont’s philosophy.
- Every child is recognized and supported for who they are.
- An emphasis on field studies provide meaningful opportunities for learning.
- Social justice and equity are important aspects of our curriculum. Our children are taught to be kind, respectful citizens, and leaders.
- We develop children’s capacity for listening to each other, speaking up, and relating to other children and adults.
- We value and encourage parent participation, with a wide range of options for involvement.
- Over Crestmont’s long and rich history, we have created and sustained unique community traditions.
- In our admissions process we have a strong commitment to racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and family diversity.
- We provide a high quality education for a reasonable price. Crestmont offers one of the lowest tuition rates in the East Bay Independent Schools Association.
Crestmont School Profile
Crestmont School is a cooperative K-8 school located in the scenic hills of Richmond, California. It was founded in 1969 with the goal of creating an environment that encourages curiosity, critical thinking, community spirit, and academic excellence for children of all backgrounds.
Crestmont is the oldest K-8 parent co-op school on the West Coast. We intentionally group students into multi-age classes and across multiple grades for a variety of activities to enhance individual learning. Our specialties include music, art, Spanish, physical education and science.
Crestmont School is a member of the East Bay Independent Schools Association (EBISA).
85 total students
Lower School (K-4) and Middle School (5-8)
(Kindergarten) 12-17 students. Adult to Child Ratio 1:4
$18,660 per year
6% sibling discount
Families Receiving Tuition Assistance
Available from 7:30 am until 6:00 pm
Prior to the start of the school year, our kindergarten teacher schedules home visits for each new incoming kindergartner. She spends time with each child at their home so that when the children enter their first day at the school, they have already had a personal connection and are familiar with their teacher. Kindergarten families are welcomed at a new families’ play date after admission and encouraged to hold play dates with new classmates over the summer. Later in the summer, a class picnic is held for each grade just before the school year begins.
View the recent video about the Crestmont kindergarten transition: